Wednesday 29 June 2016

PVS - John Carmack's infamous potentially-visible set



So, I have been working hard on realtime game editor stuff - being able to check and edit the state of the game engine, and things like that.
One major recent component to the game editor stuff is called Constructive Solid Geometry.
Realtime CSG editing is not completely new, but relatively unpopular, mostly due to John Carmack creating a visual game editor based on BSP-CSG.

John and I have some things in common, but there are things we disagree on.
I believe in realtime csg editing, but I think that BSP is not the only spatial partitioning system that can support CSG operations.
In fact, I might even publish my editor at some point, just to stick it to the man, JC, you might be, but your stolen tech from the 1968 paper is not even relevant now, and neither are you.

I would further extend this sentiment to a somewhat more interesting person, did you guess who?
The games I make have no god complex, that should be all the clues needed, who holds the can?

Seriously though, I do have some things to say about PVS, and I promise to do so in the next post, it's interesting stuff, real philosophers would shit their pants.


No comments:

Post a Comment